Thursday, January 27, 2011

Busy Busy

Right now I'm exhausted, but I have the urge to update my blog real quick.  This week has been super busy!  I'm now tutoring private English lessons Monday through Thursday and if one more person asks me I'm going to have to say no!  I feel like I might already be a little overwhelmed and if that's the case then I'm just going to have to cut down some of the hours, although the extra money is very nice.  It's not that I don't like doing it either, but it just takes time to prepare and with the additional preparation for work it becomes a little time consuming. 

Today I was tutoring this 15 year old boy and it is all grammar.  He was asking me some verb form that was passive something-something and in my mind I was thinking 'I have no idea how to conjugate this verb form!'  It's not like we have to know all the names of the verb forms and how to conjugate them since we're native English speakers, but I definitely understand where he was coming from asking for the verb conjugation.  So now I shall be reviewing English grammar and the proper names of the different tenses.  We also reviewed conditionals (If John had washed the car, it would have been clean, etc.).  We initially went over it earlier this week and I immediately thought of AP Spanish si clauses, (If this *were* to happen, this *would* happen), little hand movements and dance included.  At least I knew what the heck he was talking about then, although today he tried to tell me that no, some of the sentence examples I wrote out were wrong.  My thoughts:  Uh, I am the native English speaker here.  Por fa.  Eventually he understood, although one thing I could not explain.  The family is a singular even though it refers to multiple people whereas the police is plural.  He asked why and I didn't have an explanation except that it was one of those things you had to memorize, although I wonder certain words are like that.  Oh well, at least I know how to conjugate them in English!

No comments:

Post a Comment