Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I have a confession

Well, not really.  My roommate is pretty religious and I've attended "talks" (they're called "charlas" in Spanish, but they're basically like the homily without the mass.  An hour long homily) and then on the Fridays I go to her work there is always a half an hour "talk" with the girls that I usually go to.  One day she asked me when the last time I went to confession was.  Uhhmm.... I basically say it's been a while and then she asks if I'd like to confess.  I explain well, you know, it'd be a little difficult in Spanish.  First off, does anybody actually like going to confession?  Second, who wants to confess in a second language?  Uh, not me.  So today we are driving to the centro and she tells me she was talking with a priest who knows some English and if I wanted to I could go confess to him.  Then she tells me she had her friend print off some papers about confession and the commandments, honestly I'm not too sure.  Of course she kept saying "if I want to" so I just kept saying "Vale, vale, gracias", (ok, ok, thanks).  I don't fancy saying, "Thanks, but I really don't want to confess".  When you go to confession it's already awkward and umcomfortable as is and doing it in Spanish, or even to a priest who speaks a little English, would make it ten times worse. 

On another note, I'm finally making plans for next year, or this year really.  People in the program have the opportunity to teach in a school another year if they "do a good job".  I thought about it and it would definitely be a good way to still improve my Spanish, but I know I'll be ready to stay home longer than just three months.  And of course there are all the wonderful travel opportunities while living in Europe, but I've decided that I want to go back to school for Spanish and eventually teach Spanish.  UC has a program and I'm in the works for applying there for either the fall or winter quarter (the applications are continuous, so we'll see what happens).  Hopefully all works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment