I was having a conversation a few weeks ago with one of the teachers I have a bilingue class with and we were discussing driving. He asked if I thought people drove better here or in the U.S. I told him I would never want to drive over here and that is a fact. The drivers over here are crazy and I've never seen so many roundabouts in my life. In the mornings I wait for the other teacher I drive with by an intersection that a secondary school is at. The parents drop their kids off there and I have the privilege of seeing the awful and scary driving of Spaniards. A stop sign (where the sign actually says STOP) is more like a suggestion than a law. If you stop too long you get honked at.
Let's not forget the student drivers either. I honestly have never seen so many driving schools. This morning I was walking to the post office and on one certain street all the driving school cars are lined up. I've seen this before so it must be a normal thing, but you will always see a driving school car at any point of the day. Are there really that many people learning how to drive in this city?
And the roundabouts. I'm always afraid that someone is going to crash in one of the roundabouts because sometimes whoever is on the outermost lane wants to go straight while the person in the lane next to them needs to turn. This would normally result in a crash and I'm surprised I have yet to witness one.
I really should take a video sometime of the driving over here. My mom says I sometimes get too close to the car in front of me when I stop, but really I would be considered far away in Spain's driving terms.
No comments:
Post a Comment