Yesterday I was in one of the second grade classes and they were learning about weather. The teacher shows them flashcards of a certain type of weather and they have to say what it is like raining, snowing, windy, etc. After the weather flashcards the English teacher pulls out other flashcards with different pictures of a coat, umbrella, etc. When the students don't know the answer I say what the word is out loud so they can hear the pronunciation of it. She shows a card and at first I wasn't sure if it was socks or rain boots so I look at the back of the card and it says "wellies." My response: "Wellies? What are wellies?" Her response: Shrug. It wasn't until when I saw in their book the lion wearing the "wellies" and it was splashing in water that I realized it was the word for rain boots.
They learn the British English here so rubbers are erasers, school bag is backpack, mum is mom, granny and grandad are grandma and grandpa, and the letter Z is pronounced like the word said. Let's not forget the grammar! They say "have you got" instead of "do you have" and it always makes me inwardly cringe while I'm thinking no, no, no, you have it all wrong! That's improper grammar! It's not as if I can interrupte and say "oh, excuse me, but that's not what we say where I live". Sometimes I wish the English teacher would ask what we call things such as with the wellies incident, but she doesn't. I guess it's all something I will have to live with!
I'd rather learn what they're learning than the most of the stuff people pass of as English here (Oh, Bon Qui Qui...).
ReplyDeleteYeah, but we'll see how much these kids actually remember it since half of them don't pay attention. And, uh, I love Bon Qui Qui. What are you trying to say? jk!
ReplyDelete